On June 17th 2011 IEEE RevCom has approved the latest updated version of IEEE-1647 e-standard. Some of the exciting new additions include:
- Named constraints – a la SystemVerilog constraint blocks, helps in debug, review etc.
- Much awaited “real” data type – we asked for it back in 2004! Wish granted some 7 years later, better late than never! It also indicates that the language is very much alive and kicking!
- Type constraints
- Constraint extensions – with is only
- e templates – much like C++ – better than user written complex macros
- Named checks – more useful for tools to do “failure triage” for instance
- A full fledged “Reflective API” a la Verilog’s VPI
As noted in recent Cadence blog entry: http://www.cadence.com/Community/blogs/fv/archive/2011/06/16/is-e-old-yes-is-it-outdated-definitely-not.aspx?CMP=home e is old but NOT dead! It is alive and kicking!
Now it is almost time to start contributing to next-gen E language, if you want to contribute, contact us!